Wednesday, July 04, 2007

More school stresses

Now before I start this I just want to thank those who do read this - I know my blog has never been as deep and meaningful as others, and sometimes is just a load of rubbish - but think of it this way - with all the stresses most of you have in your busy work days - my day adds light relief!!!!
Yesterday, lists went up at Daisi's school telling us what class she moves to next year. At present she is in Butterflies and will move to Dragonflies - but then my trauma started. To take you back about a year, the main reason we moved from Thornton Heath to Reigate was to get away from dufff schools. The teachers at Daisi's nursery told us not to send Daisi there as she would never get challenged - and somehow she has turned out rather brainy - must be from Dunc. Well, next year some of her present class, including her will join the younger ones in her year and become Year 1, whilst the rest of the class become Year 1/2. This slightly concerned me as Daisi is actually above everyone else in reading and is the only one to have started spelling tests - therefore I couldn't understand why she was being 'put back'. Having chatted with one of my school mum mates last night and briefly to the teacher - it seems it is purely done on age. Everyone who's birthday is before Christmas goes in the Year 1/2 class - Daisi is Jan 10th!!!! So I'm having a little meeting with the teacher after school, partly cos I was getting upset in the playground this morning chatting with her - and she's so lovely.
Basically as long as she can convince me that Daisi will not be held back I'll be happy. Just wish I wasn't such an emotional person!!!
Any teachers out there?? Feel free to give me more information!!!!

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    You should have a word with Janet

     
  • At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 3:40:00 PM, Blogger student midwife said…

    Don't worry anita. Daisi's as bright as a button and nothing will hold her back.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:08:00 PM, Blogger Anita said…

    Had a chat with the teacher and I feel much much better now

     
  • At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not sure why it works that way at your school. Maybe they've had trouble in the past so simply do it on age. They do the same at the school Siobhan works at and it's ok. At our school we have the following class beakdown so don't panic: Y2/1, Y2/1, Y1/ Y1/R, R. Now that's complicated and the children in with the reception children really are the dunces!!!! At least they are being fair on all of the children by doing it on age. As a teacher, I teach the children where they are. Daisi is a sponge who will learn no matter where she is. See how it goes and if you're not happy talk to the teacher again. Thinking about it, are the Y1/2 class the oldest Y1 and the youngest Y2? Where are the rest of the Y2's? Sorry, too many questions and too long a response. I'm on the other side of this conversation at the moment and have about 6 parents waiting to see me next week. I tell them that I'm the professional and know what the best learning environment will be for them. Trust them!!! xxx
    Kate H

     
  • At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:56:00 PM, Blogger Anita said…

    I chatted to the teacher tonight. There are 3 classes spread over yr1 & 2.
    Yr 1 - Younger yr 1s
    Yr 1/2 - Older yr1 and younger yr 2
    Yr 2 - Older yr 2

    Daisi teacher was lovely today and explained all that and yes they used to do it on ability but it caused far to much upset and trouble so they decided to just do it on age. She says Daisi will still be working will like-levelled kids and will never be held back. I think that bit was my big worry especially as the main reason we moved house was to get Daisi to a better school as the old teachers told us not to send Daisi there as she'd never get challenged!
    I am much calmer now, although still think it's slightly unfair that Daisi - who is on level 5 reading, is in a class with some on level 1 & 2 and there are kids in the yr 1/2 class who are still on level 2 - but I understand the age thing - shame she misses it by 10 days!!!!

     
  • At Friday, July 06, 2007 10:02:00 AM, Blogger student midwife said…

    In joe's class theres a huge diffrence in abilities. Some children can hardly read a word (with little or no encouragemant from home), and others are reading chapter books. Others like joe, are reading well and are encouraged from home..... thats where the biggest diffrence is i think. A class of the same age still have lots of diffrent abilities and it's up to us as parents to encourage and do our part at home, which i know you guys do! Doesn't hurt to let the teacher know you will be keeping a very close eye on how she's doing though!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home